ISBE Gender and Enterprise Network Special Interest Group (GENSIG)
Call for Abstracts for Confreat 17th- 18th July 2017
Sylvia Pankhurst Gender Research Center, Manchester Metropolitan University
Please submit your abstract to Dr Maria Villares: M.Villares-Varela@soton.ac.uk by 1st February 2017.
The Gender and Enterprise Network (GEN) invites both new and more established scholars to attend a forthcoming ‘Confreat’ (conference/retreat) on 17th and 18th of July 2017 at the Sylvia Pankhurst Gender Research Center, Manchester Metropolitan University.
The primary focus of this event is to participants to develop working papers for a conference or journal publication. This will mainly take place through feedback on papers and guidance from a prestigious team of established entrepreneurship academics, with both qualitative and quantitative research backgrounds. During the two-day event, participants will:
- – Receive personalised feedback and guidance on their working papers.
- – Reflect upon the theoretical contributions of their research in the area of gender andenterprise.
- – Learn how to write successful grant applications.
- – Engage with a unique network of internationally recognised scholars as well as early careerresearchers in the area of gender and entrepreneurship.The idea for a confreat emerged from a desire expressed by our network for a unique space, where the rigour of an academic conference was combined with the supportive and encouraging aspects of a retreat environment. This experience is designed to sharpen your paper-writing skills and help you to develop both academically and professionally. Our first confreat in 2015 received an overwhelmingly positive response from attendees who found it “energising”, “inspirational”, “motivating” and “essential”. We were really pleased to be able to develop, not only the attendees’ papers but also their networks and collaborative opportunities. This confreat has been designed to support the development of full papers for those aiming to submit to the Gender Track of the ISBE/ECSB conferences in 2017. However, participants are welcome to submit any paper on which they are currently working, either for a conference or journal submission. As we are really keen to support the journey to publication, previous attendees are free to submit the same paper, as long as they have done significant work on it since the 2015 Confreat.Who should attend: In order to provide quality feedback and a valuable experience this event will be limited to 24 attendees. We are particularly interested in applications from Early Career Researchers (five years or fewer post-PhD), PhD students, and/or academics who wish to build on their current publication trajectory (i.e. aim for higher-ranked journals) in the area of gender and entrepreneurship.Submitting your abstract: This process involves submission of an extended research abstract. There are no restrictions on the topic areas for the papers, which can relate to any aspect of gender and entrepreneurship/small business management. The abstracts will be blind-reviewed by members of the organising committee.
Abstract Format (1,000 words maximum). Please include:
Objectives: e.g. What are the aims of your research? What did you want to find out? Why is this
Prior Work: e.g. What previous research has been done on this topic? What are the gaps your work addresses?
Approach: e.g. How did you conduct your research? What methodology and methods did you employ? How did you analyse your data?
Results: e.g. What did you find out?
Implications: e.g. What does this mean for practice, policy and/ or theory?
Value: e.g. How can others use your research? What is your contribution to theory, practice and/or policy?
Successful candidates will be invited to submit a full paper of approximately 7,000 words by 1st June 2017. Each paper will be reviewed by a senior academic in the field, who will offer individual feedback to the author to help develop their work towards journal/conference submission. Attendees will also be required to offer peer reviews on a small number of papers.
1st February 2017 – Abstract submission deadline.
1st March 2017 – Successful applicants will be notified and invited to submit full papers. They will also receive initial feedback to support full paper development. Registration opens.
31st March 2017 – Registration closes
1st June 2017 – Full paper submission deadline
17th -18th July 2017 – Confreat
Fee (inc all meals and an evening dinner on 17th July)
- – Standard fee – £120
- – Early Career – £80Non-members
- – Standard fee – £150
- – Early Career- £110PhD students – £70
- Download the full call for papers here.