Cyrine Ben-Hafaïedh, IESEG School of Management (LEM-CNRS), France
Mirela Xheneti, University of Sussex Business School, UK
Pekka Stenholm, University of Turku, Turku School of Economics, Finland
Robert Blackburn, University of Liverpool Management School, UK
Friederike Welter, Institut für Mittelstandsforschung (IfM) Bonn, Germany
David Urbano, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (CREIS), Spain
Contextualization in entrepreneurship research has received special scholarly attention with studies over the years challenging the mainstream Silicon Valley model of entrepreneurship, and acknowledging and researching both, the diversity of entrepreneurship and the entrepreneurial efforts in constructing and enacting contexts (see Welter, 2011; Welter, Baker, Audretsch, & Gartner, 2017; Welter & Gartner, 2016; Zahra, 2007; Zahra & Wright, 2011). After an initial focus on the economic (Nakara, Messeghem, & Ramaroson, 2019) and technological, other facets of context have been examined, including the historical (Wadhwani, Kirsch, Welter, Gartner, & Jones, 2020), spatial (Müller & Korsgaard, 2018), temporal (Lippmann & Aldrich, 2016), cultural (Morales, Holtschlag, Masuda, & Marquina, 2019; Shaw, Wilson, & Pret, 2017), social (Thornton, Ribeiro-Soriano, & Urbano, 2011; Welter & Xheneti, 2015) and institutional (Urbano & Alvarez, 2014; Urbano, Aparicio, & Audretsch, 2019). Emerging as well as more mature areas in entrepreneurship and small business research are examined with a contextualization framework to show the role these areas have in the field (Belitski, Caiazza, & Lehmann, 2019; Wright, Chrisman, Chua, & Steier, 2014; Zahra, Wright, & Abdelgawad, 2014).
- Launch of the call on March 1, 2021
- Submission of extended abstracts / proposals May 15, 2021 by e-mail to
- Submission of full papers October 1, 2021
- Invited manuscripts to participate in Paper Development Workshop (ECSB XXXV RENT hybrid pre-conference event) November 17, 2021. Participation in this workshop is not a condition for responding to the Call. Likewise, participation in this event does not guarantee publication in the Special Issue.
- Full submission revised paper February 15, 2022
- Revisions until July 15, 2022
- Submission of the final paper September 15, 2022
- SI online November-December 2022
Download the full call for papers here.