Entrepreneurial Finance for Green Innovative SMEs Conference
Special issue of IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management
Kingston Business School and ISBE Conference, 20 June 2019, Kingston Business School
Kingston Business School in association with the Institute of Small Business and Entrepreneurship (ISBE) is delighted to host the ‘Entrepreneurial Finance for Green Innovative SMEs’ conference, June 20th, 2019 at Kingston Hill Campus, Kingston University London, KT2 7LB.
Whilst considerable focus has been on government programmes to fund larger scale projects (e.g. renewable energy and infrastructure), such as through public backed Green Investment Banks, alongside policies to encourage businesses energy efficiency, far less attention has been given to addressing the green innovation patient capital gap facing early stage small businesses (Owen et al, 2018; McDaniels and Robins, 2017; Rowlands, 2009).
The conference therefore aims to bring together leading academics, policy makers and practitioners to discuss and showcase the interplay of policy and contemporary new innovative forms of entrepreneurial finance for early stage green innovative SMEs.
Key note speakers
Professor Nick Robins – Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change, London School of Economics
Professor Fergus Lyon – Deputy Head of ESRC Centre for Understanding Sustainable Prosperity, Centre for Enterprise and Economic Research, Middlesex University
Call for papers
The conference solicits submissions that aim to contribute to theory and practical development in the field of early stage green innovative SME finance. Potential topics include:
- Innovative public policies to finance green SME innovation, particularly for early stage long horizon R&D projects.
- International dimensions in scaling-up public policy initiatives to address early stage green innovation finance gaps.
- Private sector innovations (e.g. fintechs, blockchain, crowdfunding, impact investors, green bonds) as an alternative finance which are impacting on green innovation in SMEs.
- Case studies of early stage innovative green venture financing.
- Development of green financing ecosystems and socio-environmental just transition involving small and community based innovative green businesses.
- Financing circular economy solutions.
- How do traditional and new sources of entrepreneurial finance make investment decisions in green innovative opportunities.
- Financing cleantech SMEs for circular economy solutions to climate change.
A set of papers presented at the Conference will be invited for consideration in a Special Issue of “IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management” by the Guest Editors Dr Robyn Owen, Middlesex University Business School, Dr Ciarán Mac an Bhaird, Dublin City University, Professor Javed Ghulam Hussain, Birmingham City University, Dr Yannis Pierrakis, Kingston University, Dr Tiago Botelho, University of East Anglia, and Dr Geraldine Brennan, Middlesex University Business School. All selected papers will be blind refereed accordingly with the standards and the policy of the journal.
For more details on the call for papers for the Special Issue please click here
Timeline indication for conference and potential journal publication
1) Deadline for 150 word abstracts for conference papers, 30thApril, 2019
2) Conference to be held 20thJune, 2019 (venue, Kingston University, London)
3) Full papers maybe submitted for Special Issue of IEEE Transactions in Engineering and Management by 31stDecember, 2020
4) Expected publication date of IEEE special issue, Autumn 2021
Note: All abstracts and manuscript copies should be emailed to Yannis Pierrakis firstname.lastname@example.org Dr Robyn Owen, guest editors for the conference and journal special issue: email@example.com.