The Gender and Enterprise Network is a Special Interest Group of ISBE and is open to both ISBE members and non-members. It was established in 2010 by a group of early career and more established academics with a research interest in women’s entrepreneurship and the gendering of entrepreneurship. GEN aims to:
- PROMOTE the creation of scholarly research on the relationship between small enterprise/entrepreneurship and gender.
- FACILITATE knowledge exchange between researchers, educators, entrepreneurs, small business owners, policy makers and business support professionals interested in enterprise and gender.
- ENABLE the development of gender-aware entrepreneurship policy.
- SUPPORT the career development of our members.
- CONTRIBUTE to developing the gender track at the ISBE annual conference.
GEN has an active organizing committee with a range of academic experience from ECR to Professor. This team is supported by an international advisory panel of prominent and experienced academics in the gender and entrepreneurship field.
Current Committee Members
- Professor Haya Al-Dajani, Professor of Entrepreneurship, Mohammed Bin Salman College for Business and Entrepreneurship (MBSC), Saudi Arabia.
- Dr Sally Jones, Reader in Entrepreneurship and Gender Studies, Manchester Metropolitan University Business School, United Kingdom.
- Dr Lorna Treanor, Associate Professor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- Dr Nicola Patterson, Senior Lecturer in Leader Development & Organizational Futures, Newcastle University, United Kingdom.
- Dr Carol Ekinsmyth, Principal Lecturer in Geography, University of Portsmouth. United Kingdom.
- Dr Mary Joy Baloyo, Lecturer in Entrepreneurship, Manchester Metropolitan University, United Kingdom.
We are calling for new Committee members as Professor Julia Rouse, Professor Natalia Vershinina and Dr Maria Villares-Varela are stepping down after many years of active membership and service. They have been instrumental in developing our activities, organising and contributing to events, and promoting GEN internationally. We offer our sincere thanks for their enthusiasm, advice and wisdom, and look forward to their ongoing active membership in GEN.
Why Join the GEN Committee?!
We are an active and collegial, team-oriented group of gender and entrepreneurship scholars and welcome your contributions and participation for advancing GEN’s mission and supporting our network of 700+ gender and entrepreneurship scholars. You will be part of dedicated team designing and delivering professional development in-person and online workshops for our members, creating networking opportunities for our members, supporting scholarly publications such as journal special issues relating to gender and entrepreneurship topics, contributing to the development of ISBE’s gender and entrepreneurship track and an array of other potentialities that deliver GEN’s aims as highlighted above.
GEN Committee members are expected to attend (online) Committee meetings. The dates for these for 2024 are outlined here:
- Monday Feb 5th, 2-3.30 pm UK time.
- Monday April 29th, 2-3.30 pm UK time
- Monday July 15th, 2-3.30 pm UK time
- Monday Oct 14th, 2-3.30 pm UK time
- GEN AGM – Monday Nov 11th, 2-3.30 pm UK time
In your expression of interest, please highlight how you will contribute to the Committee’s delivery of GEN’s aims, and how you expect other Committee members to support you to do so.
We have 3 vacancies to fill.